SOCIAL MEDIA ADVERTISING
Social media advertising is a must if you’re looking to reach a new, targeted audience... fast.
Of course, it can be scary to move from an organic social strategy to putting real money on the table. So, it’s important to understand all the options.
There are various types of social media ads which will help you to achieve real business results while maximising your spend.
Types of social media ads
All the major social networks offer advertising options. That doesn’t mean you should use all of them.
When thinking about which social networks to use for advertising, look at which ones perform well organically and where your content naturally strikes a chord with audiences, which is an obvious choice for your first social ad campaigns.
When choosing where to place your ads, it’s also helpful to know which networks are most popular with your target audience.
Pinterest, for example, has far more female than male users. If you’re targeting a younger crowd, you’ll likely find them on Snapchat and Instagram.
Here is a quick summary from the Pew Research Centre that sows who is using which social networks in 2019.
Now that you have a sense of which social networks are a demographic fit for your business, let’s look at the types of ads each network has to offer.
Facebook ads are designed to help you achieve one of three broad types of campaign objectives:
- Awareness: Build brand awareness or increase reach.
- Consideration: Send traffic to your website, increase engagement, encourage app installs or video views, generate leads, or encourage people to communicate with you on Facebook Messenger.
- Conversion: Create online conversions, make catalogue sales, or drive foot traffic to offline stores.
Audience considerations: Facebook is popular across demographics and offers detailed targeting options. This makes it a great platform to get started with social media advertising.
Facebook owns Instagram. So it’s not surprising that Instagram ads support the same three broad categories of campaign objectives as Facebook ads:
Audience considerations: Instagram is most popular with millennials. Plenty of Generation Xers also use the platform.
Twitter ads work towards five different business objectives:
- Website clicks: Promote Tweets with Website Cards to encourage people to visit and take action on your website. You’re charged per click.
- Tweet engagements: Promote Tweets with the goal of starting conversations about your brand. You pay for the initial engagement.
- Followers: Promote your Twitter account and pay per follower gained.
- Awareness: Promote your Tweets to a broad audience and pay for impressions (CPM).
- App installs: Promote your Tweets with App Cards and pay per click to open or install your app.
Audience considerations: Nearly two-thirds of Twitter’s advertising addressable audience is male.
LinkedIn ads help your business with three types of marketing objectives:
- Awareness: Create more awareness of your company or brand.
- Consideration: Drive website visits, increase engagement, or encourage video views.
- Conversions: Collect leads and drive website conversions.
Audience considerations: LinkedIn is much more business-oriented than the other social networks in this post. It offers targeting options based on professional qualifications like job title and seniority.
YouTube ads can help you work towards the following business goals:
- Collect leads
- Drive website traffic
- Increase product and brand consideration
- Build brand awareness and extend your reach
Audience considerations: YouTube has more male than female users. The audience is well spread out among age groups up to 65.
Snapchat ads can help you achieve three types of marketing objectives:
- Awareness: Reach a large audience to increase awareness of your brand.
- Consideration: Drive traffic to your website or app, increase engagement, and encourage app installs, video views, and lead generation.
- Conversions: Drive website conversions or catalogue sales.
Audience considerations: Snapchat is overwhelmingly popular with younger users. Nearly three-quarters of 18 to 24 year olds use the app. Compare that to only 25% of 30- to 49-year-olds. About 60%of the audience you can reach with Snapchat ads is female.
Pinterest ads work with six types of business goals:
- Build brand awareness
- Drive traffic to your website
- Drive app installs
- Drive traffic to specific products
- Encourage specific actions on your website
- Drive video impressions
Audience considerations: Pinterest has significantly more female users than males.
7 Social Media Advertising Tips
1. Know what business objective you’re trying to achieve
2. Know your target audience
3. Let your organic posts inform your ads
4. Pay for what matters: Impressions or engagement
5. Design your ads with mobile in mind
6. Test your ads to optimize performance
7. Measure results and create reports on them
If you want to know more about social media advertising and how we can help you with your campaigns, click below: